Monday, May 13, 2013

Travelogue – Texas to Michigan



For me, traveling alone isn't much fun so my stops were few, only when necessary and brief. I made a couple fuel stops in Texas, but they were in places where I already have photos so didn't take the time to shoot new ones. My first stop outside Texas was at the Lake Bienvenue welcome center on U.S. 10 just across the Louisiana border. Although the lake's name means "welcome," the signs warning of snakes (Water Moccasins and Copperheads) and Crocodiles seemed to be a contradiction in terms.

The walkway around the lake provides places for fishermen to cast a line for perch, crappie, bass and crabs. The couple in the first photo had a cooler full of fish and didn't seem to be at all concerned about snakes or croc's.





Next stop, the following morning was at a Welcome Center in Mississippi. The colonnaded buildings and sculpted gardens are reminiscent of old south plantation mansions.






 After a long drive and short night in Kentucky, I stopped at an Indiana Welcome Center. The buildings here speak of modern commerce and industry – not nearly as romantic.

My last photo stop was in East Grand Rapids where I spent the night with my son and his family to wait out the cold and rain before setting up the trailer in Montague. This isn't his house, but it is his neighborhood. I took the photo to show the difference in springtime vegetation from the deep south to the high north.
In Louisiana and Texas the trees are in full leaf and people routinely wander around in shorts and t-shirts. In Michigan some trees have begun to flower and leaves are opening, but many others are still in the tightly closed bud stage.
When I left Texas Wednesday morning before sunrise it was 79° F. with promise of another beautiful sunny day. Friday afternoon, Michigan greeted me with 46° and a cold misting rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment